Saturday, January 23, 2016

SocialEyes Lash Try-On

Mmmm, lashes. I never really thought I'd be a false lash junkie, but over the course of the last eight or so months, I've purchased more lashes than I can fit into my little 3-drawer Sterilite tower. Oops. Time to reorganize things, I guess! Because I can't resist affordable lashes, I picked up a bunch from SocialEyes when they had a sale at the beginning of the year. So far I've been loving them, but I did have a bit of trouble picking them out online. Even though there are photos on a model, I just couldn't quite tell how they were going to look on my eyes. If you're having the same issue or are just interested in seeing some of the styles that SocialEyes has to offer, hopefully this post is helpful for you!

If this is the first you're hearing about SocialEyes, here's a little background: SocialEyes is a cruelty-free, vegan lash company created by Canadian siblings Karissa and Hayden Pukas, and based in Sydney, Australia. The lashes are primarily made from sterilized human hair, though some styles also use synthetic fibers.The lash glue made by SocialEyes is latex free, but it's important to note that the lashes are held to the tray with a glue that contains a small amount of latex. If you're allergic, be very careful to remove all of the glue before wearing them! SocialEyes ships internationally, and if you're in the US or Canada shipping is free on orders over $30. For more info on shipping click here. You can purchase SocialEyes lashes, lash glue, and the lash tweezers online at SocialEyesLashes.com.

If you watch YouTube videos or spend a fair bit of time on Instagram, then you may already be familiar with Karissa's work as a beauty and lifestyle vlogger. I highly recommend checking out her channel because she puts out excellent quality content, and though I've never met her, she comes across as a very sweet, funny, and genuinely lovely person. I especially love watching her vlogs, and if you're nerdy like me, you'll definitely want to check out the vlog where she visits the SocialEyes factory in Indonesia and shows a behind-the-scenes look at how the lashes are designed and created by hand. It was fascinating! Together, Karissa and Hayden have launched over 25 styles of lashes, all of which are under $10. Today I'll be showing you: Butterfly, Playing Coy, Siren, Dolly, Minx, Sweet Talker, and Forget Me Not. Fair warning, there's whooole lot of resting bitch face ahead. Sorry y'all.

I picked up seven styles in total, including one pair of bottom lashes, Dolly, plus some lash glue.



Before we get started, here's a photo of me without false lashes. I'm just wearing a light coat of Benefit Roller Lash here, a light eye shadow from a random Tarte palette, and a bit of ColourPop Bill through the crease. If you were wondering, my lips are the new Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint in Namaste. So far, not a fan, it looks quite dry and I had to keep reapplying it, but this is only the first time I've worn it, too soon for a final verdict. Earrings are H&M. When it comes to lashes, I'm fine on volume, but I really struggle with length and keeping a curl in my lashes since they like to stick straight out from my lashline. Don't even get me started on my wimpy bottom lashes. My cat has better bottom lashes than I do -.- Since I was trying on a bunch of styles, I didn't bother to hide the lash band, but I did try to get them as close to the bed of the lashes as possible (sometimes more successfully that others, oops).

Previously, on Days of Our Lives... /jokes.

First up, we have the most natural of all of the styles that I bought, and, surprisingly, my favorite so far. I say surprisingly because not only are they quite a simple lash that's not likely to cause a major case of *heart eyes*, they're called Butterfly. I, a fully grown 23 year old woman, am afraid of butterflies. My fear of butterflies has more to do with the fact that I'm terrified of moths, but let's be real here, butterflies are just moths in designer clothing. Just because they look like they were dressed by Vera Wang does not make them any less evil. Luckily, these lashes don't involve any actual butterflies 'cause I'd be screaming and flailing. 

SocialEyes Butterfly lashes

These lashes fit my eyes perfectly. Because my eyes are kind of small, I almost always have to trim a little bit off, but these fit without any trimming or adjusting whatsoever. I actually ended up wearing these to the grocery store last weekend because I was just so in love with them and they were so easy to apply. They added just a bit of length and fullness to my lashes, but they were subtle enough that even in person you wouldn't have been able to tell they were fake. Love, love, love. 

Here's another look at this style with the makeup I wore last weekend. 



Next up is Playing Coy, which is a lengthening lash style. Still on the natural side as far as false lashes go, but not as subtle as Butterfly. The band on these is also a little bit longer, they were juuust at the edge of fitting my eyes without needing to be trimmed, but it was thin enough that it could be hidden quite easily. 

SocialEyes Playing Coy lashes

SocialEyes Sweet Talker were just a touch (Aren't you glad I didn't make a bad play on words here? You're welcome.) too long in the band, but I love the effect that these create. Little bit of volume, little bit of length, little bit of glam. I'm into it. These are my second favorite style.

SocialEyes Sweet Talker

Now we're getting into the more dramatic styles. Forget Me Not gives a whole lotta length and volume, but the band on these was definitely too long for my eyes. Probably wouldn't be too long for most people, but it's something to keep in mind if you have small eyes. I'll have to trim these a bit, but I think these are gorgeous. Great for making the eyes look bigger and more elongated. Also, unlike the previous styles which all had clear bands, these have a solid black band. Most people seem to prefer a clear band, but I actually feel like a black band is easier to hide because you can't see the little knots where the lashes meet the band.

SocialEyes Forget Me Not

These next lashes are really stylized and spiky, but with the right look (something very glittery, for example) or stacked with another set of lashes, they'd look awesome. These also have a solid black band. While the band on these isn't too long, the style of the lash isn't the best for my eye shape. I've got very little lid space at the inner corners, so the spikiness of the lashes looks quite odd on me because they aren't tapered enough at the inner corner. For anyone that doesn't have a hooded inner corner, this isn't likely to be a problem. If you like the look of these, SocialEyes also makes a style called Minx 2.0 that's fuller and slightly wispier.


SocialEyes Minx

I know Siren is one of SocialEyes' most popular styles, but they look absolutely absurd on me. Nothing wrong with the lashes, just not a good match for my eye shape. They actually touch my eyebrows at the inner corners, and for some reason I feel like they make me look a bit surprised. Maybe because I can't take myself seriously in these lashes? These lashes are just not for me, though I will say they were surprisingly light weight for such intense lashes, so props to SocialEyes for that. If I trimmed a large chunk off the inner corner, I could probably make them work, but I'd say these are way better suited to larger eyes. Check out SocialEyes' Instagram feed to see these looking bomb on people who are not me! 

SocialEyes Siren

The final style I have to show you today is one SocialEyes' two bottom lash styles, Dolly (the other being Wallflower). Since my own bottom lashes are so underwhelming, I wanted some bottom lashes to give me a little extra oomph. Because I was already wearing mascara, these were a bit tricky to apply, but once I got them situated they were actually a perfect fit. They also helped to make the Siren lashes look a little less ridiculous on me. I really like the effect these give, and can definitely see myself using these to add a bit more definition to the bottom lash line with a more dramatic look.

SocialEyes Dolly (bottom) and Siren (top)

Alright, that's enough of my resting bitch face for one day. Overall, I'm really satisfied with my order and will definitely be purchasing more from SocialEyes (I think I'm gonna need an entire drawer full of Butterfly and Sweet Talker!). I'm planning on doing a smackdown-style lash glue mega post, so you'll see a full review of the SocialEyes lash glue then. So far, I'm really loving it. Hopefully this helped you to see the effect that each style creates and to determine whether or not a particular style will work well with your eye shape.

Which style was your favorite? Let me know in the comments down below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment