Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: Take Out Spa My Renew Bottle and My Bright Bottle Sheet Masks

I picked up the Take Out Spa My Renew Bottle and My Juicy Bottle masks a couple of months ago when HKC Plaza was having a sale. I was also on a bit of "juice" mask kick, spurred on by my love of the Ariul Juice Cleanse masks. I saw the Take Out Spa masks, and figured I'd give them a try.






Price: $2-3, even less if they're on sale. HKC Plaza runs sales pretty frequently. I think they were doing 60% off when I purchased these back in January.

Concept: These masks claim the use of superfoods will make skin healthier because of the associated vitamins. Cold-pressed fruits and vegetables are also highlighted as a benefit on the packaging. Cold processing the ingredients supposedly retains more nutrients, making it more beneficial for the skin. However, there has been no conclusive scientific evidence to support the claim that cold-pressed juices are more nutritious than traditionally processed juices, so I doubt it would make that much of a difference in a sheet mask either. Beyond that, making essence for a sheet mask is different than making a juice because there are additional things to think about such as ingredient reactions and stabilization. Ultimately, the concept just doesn't translate.


My Renew Bottle:



Claims: Increase tightness, moisture, and elasticity.

Ingredients: 

purified water, glycerin, glycereth-26, Butylene Glycol, pomegranate extract, sodium hyaluronate, tomato extract, cherry extract, niacinamide, calcium panhothenate, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, pyridoxine HCL, maltodextrin, sodium starch octenyl succinate, silica, trehalose, betaine, erythritol, PEG/PPG-17/6 copolymer, PEG-60 hydro-generated castor oil, xanthan gum, allantoin, PEG-14M, carbomer, triethanolamine, hydroxiethyl urea, tocopheryl acetate, disodium EDTA, ethylhexyl glycerin, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

My experience:

I thought this mask was ok, but I wasn't wowed by it. It had a fruity scent, like cherry and pomegranate, which makes sense since those are two of the ingredients in the mask. The mask was saturated in clear, slightly slippery essence with a little bit left over. It didn't have any sort of backing. There were slits for adjustment at the chin, and the overall fit of the mask was pretty good for my face shape. The eye, nose, and mouth holes were quite small, a perfect fit for me, but potentially bad news if you have larger features. The upper lip flap was a bit large for me, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would while I was wearing the mask.  It had an interesting texture though, like a tightly woven net, a bit different from the usual smooth sheet of material. 



The mask also felt a little cooling, which was great since it's currently hotter than Satan's balls in Vegas. I removed the mask after 20-25 minutes, when the lip flap was drying out. The essence soaked into my skin easily, but felt tacky to the touch. I didn't notice any effect from this mask beyond hydration. 

My Bright Bottle



Claims: Shiny skin due to protection of moisture barrier, anti-aging by fighting free radicals, brightness.

Ingredients:

purified water, glycerin, glycereth-26, Butylene Glycol, grapefruit extract, sodium hyaluronate, lemon extract, orange extract, niacinamide, calcium panhothenate , sodium ascorbyl phosphate, pyridoxine HCL, maltodextrin, sodium starch octenyl succinate, silica, trehalose, betaine, erythritol, PEG/PPG-17/6 copolymer, PEG-60 hydro-generated castor oil, xanthan gum, allantoin, PEG-14M, carbomer, triethanolamine, hydroxiethyl urea, tocopheryl acetate, disodium EDTA, ethylhexyl glycerin, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

My Experience:

This had the same fit and the same type of clear essence as the My Renew Bottle mask. I hated the scent of this one, it smelled just like lemon bathroom cleaner. Luckily, I couldn't smell it while it was on because I probably would have ripped it off of my face. Again, I wore this one for 25 minutes. The results were pretty much the same as the My Renew Bottle mask: hydrating, but not much else. 

The Final Verdict:

These just didn't do it for me. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with them, but I want a sheet mask to either provide great results or a great experience, and these provided neither.

What sheet masks have you been loving lately? Let me know in the comments!

─ Cristine


0 comments:

Post a Comment